Nightlizard

NightLizard's Cave

Introvert playing extrovert. An Artist. An Accountant. And a very happy person :)

My first paranormal ya thriller novel!

The Screaming Staircase - Jonathan Stroud

I am so happy it was this book!

So, a bit of synopsis:
Lucy Carlyle, a young psychic investigator, joins London's smallest agency, run by the charismatic Anthony Lockwood and his ever-hungry assistant  George Cubbins. Together the trio must investigate some of the spookiest and deadliest spectral hauntings in the city, armed only with the tools of the ghost-hunting trade (magnesium flares, iron filings, chains and salt bombs), their courage and a thermos of tea. (from jonathanstroud.com)

Thoughts and impressions:

Atmosphere:
I was surprised how believable and real the world was. It was scary and creepy sometimes and some parts gave me a goosebumps.

Story:
I was totally into the story and tho it was kind of obvious for me what was going on, most of the things came as a total surprise. It was an engaging read and I definitely wanna read of of it! Plus, it was very hard to remember that the main characters were kids, it doesn't felt this way. I am not sure about others, but it was a plus for me.

Characters:

Lucy Carlyle: She was a bit misleading, I mean, though she was sensible and smart most of the times, somehow there were some moments when she did smth very hard to explain and it seemed so "out off the blue", it is like her logic was gone in a sec and she was a totally different person. It was a bit annoying at first. But just a bit.

Anthony Lockwood: Smart. Charming. Distracted and focused at the same time. I really enjoyed his character. He gave the feeling that everything gonna be alright and sometimes I needed that))

George Cubbins: Probably this adorable bookworm is my favorite character of this book. He reminds me of Grumpy, one of the seven dwarfs and I just love their relationships with Lucy.

Overall:
Definitely buying the second book.